Jan 7, 2010

Vacuuformer (making plans)

Vacuuforming is basically warm plastic + suction = instant molding technique. It's been around for a long time in the plastics industry, and geeks inevitably found a way to do it small-scale at home. The homegrown version is best known for recreating Stormtrooper armor for Star Wars fans.

Naturally, I'm very interested in anything that looks as easy as the first ten seconds of this video.

There are limitations to what this can do, but the potential for capturing detail, creating multiple copies in a short amount of time, and the relatively inexpensive materials (plastic and foam as opposed to, say, resin or kiln-baked clay) make it a very attractive crafting method.
 
The link leading from that video is the simplest (and cheapest) vacuuform tutorial I could find, and even that I'm probably going to simplify (making my own window frames to hold the plastic will have to wait). As soon as I can get my hands on an old vacuum I can really get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment