Jan 2, 2010

Costume project - Katara

Katara is a character from the Asian-inspired American cartoon series called "Avatar: The Last Airbender". The show is funny, charming, and full of epic action-adventure, and if you haven't seen it yet, you should. I decided to try making Katara's costume, since I match her physical description fairly well. I've decided to do most of the work myself because I want to be able to enter it into a contest. Making all of those close will be interesting, to say the least,since I've never used a sewing machine so extensively.

 I want to challenge myself by doing every layer of this costume, which includes:

- Underclothes
- Dress with long-sleeved undergarments
- Coat, mittens, gloves and shoes of outer layer.


At this point, I'm shopping around for different fabrics that will work for each layer. I want to have a lot of visual interest in the fabric itself, so I'm steering away from plain cotton. The biggest challenge here is probably balancing my love of authenticity with my budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment