Jan 1, 2010

Steampunk watches

Instead of a doing a long, boring introductory post to this blog, I'm just gonna jump right in.

Steampunk is a concept I've only recently come across, and I'm intrigued by the idea, so I decided to try a few projects to explore the concept. Thus, the steampunk watch!

Really awesome people have done things like this:
link
A lovely skeleton-movement watch  by Etsy's tempusfugit, or this:
link
where watch parts are used decoratively.

I like the idea of something being functional, but I have no skill at all in metalworking, so I started looking at creative ways to get around this. I decided to start with an existing watch and modify the casing to follow the steampunk style. The first step was to find a decent pocket watch, easier said than done. I did a lot of browsing, and narrowed down my options to a few Ebay sites and this seller on Ecrater. The wood-encased pocket watch in particular caught my interest, since I can do a lot more with wood than metal.

I did a few sketches, and came up with this:


I think the leather strap is a pretty unique element, and with a little distressing, everything will look nice and antiquated. I'm not sure how quickly I'll get to this project, but I'll put up another post when I start working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment